Home » Tech tips » First Aid for a Water Damaged Phone

First Aid for a Water Damaged Phone

If your phone gets wet, it’s important to act quickly to increase the chances of saving it. Here’s a guide to first aid for a wet phone:

Remove the phone from the water immediately: The longer it stays submerged, the higher the risk of damage.

Power off the phone: Press and hold the power button until the device turns off. Do not attempt to use or charge the phone while it’s wet.

Remove the case and SIM card (if applicable): Take off the phone case and remove the SIM card to prevent further damage.

Dry the exterior: Gently wipe the phone’s exterior with a soft cloth remove any excess water. Be careful not to push water further into the device.

Avoid heat sources: Do not use a hairdryer, microwave, oven, or any direct heat source to dry the phone. Excessive heat can damage the internal components.

Use absorbent materials: Place the wet phone in a container filled with uncooked rice, silica gel packets, or a dedicated moisture-absorbing product. These materials can help draw out the moisture from the phone over time.

Wait at least 24-48 hours: Allow the phone to remain in the absorbent material for at least one to two days. This gives the best chance for the moisture to evaporate.

Test the phone: After the waiting period, reinsert the SIM card, attach the battery (if removable), and turn on the phone. Check if it functions properly. If not, you may need professional assistance or consider replacing the phone.